Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Audition Update

(shivers).

I told you about my audition experience here. The update: The show is Beauty and the Beast. My son was offered the role of LeFou, Gaston's irritatingly hilarious sidekick (a GREAT role); my elder daughter as one of the girls who swoon over Gaston (a role she really wanted); and I was offered the role of the baker, one of the townspeople who talk to Belle in the opening sequence.

I really wasn't interested. Hadn't really wanted to audition in the first place.

But now they have upped the ante, and offered me the role of Maurice, Belle's father, as the original Maurice had to back out due to a schedule conflict.

Maurice. Belle's father.

Who sings. (gulp)

Solo. (double gulp, reaches for Pepto-Bismol).

On the one hand, I am honored they want me for this role. On the other, I am seriously intimidated. My singing career consists of out-of-tune howlings (in the safety of my car) in conjunction with the local classic rock radio station, and a handful of chorus pieces on-stage, where my usual eff-ups and off-key disaster renderings can be safely hidden behind the skills of others.

I take on Maurice, and my pleasant but completely untrained voice is out there for the whooooole world to mock.

What to do, what to do. . . .



And that's three postings in one day. Enough of that.
<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>